Friday, June 25, 2010

Burned

I got burned today. In more than one way. The first is obvious. Just take a look. So much for yard work on the nicest day this year. I'll make sure to have my sunscreen handy now for sure!

The other "burn" was much more fun!!!
While working in the yard I had a few... "twigs and branches" to burn. I do not do this regularly, but it was necessary this afternoon. I threw in a few logs... a little lighter fluid... and got the fire burning my branches pretty well. After about 30 minutes, I just happen to be taking the garbage out at the same time a big huge fire truck pulls into the driveway. I see 4 firemen walking towards me and immediately my heart stops. They said they were responding to calls about yard debris and garbage being burned. He immediately started talking about the necessary permits and the city burn regulations. This happened pretty quickly as they walked toward my fire pit. The nice fireman looked at the damage and said... "Well.. all I see here are logs. Logs are just fine". I did admit to a few branches and twigs but assured him there was NO GARBAGE. He didn't seem to hear me and he was actually complimentary of our awesome pit, in an open space, with rocks and only asked that I keep the hose nearby.
The boys were pretty excited to have a fire truck come just for them, and of course we got a few junior fireman stickers just for good measure!
I feel a little like a rebel for my burn. At least they didn't come when it was REALLY rocking! I only wish I had the courage to ask them to pose with me for a picture. For now.. here is all they saw by the time they arrived.

3 comments:

Christi said...

I bet the boys LOVED it!!!! You totally should have asked for a picture :)

bontovi said...

ouch on the burn.. and great job with the other:). next time you decide to burn logs, let me know... we'll bring the pork and taro for the pit!

Sharon said...

That's kind of funny that the fire dept came. It was probably the most excitement they had that day.