Friday, June 18, 2010

Bloggable?


Today I cried to an utter stranger! She might have been an angel, but either way she was unfamiliar to me.

I don't like to cry, so this was rare. Maybe I felt more comfortable because she wasn't someone I knew, although I wish I had seen someone who knew that I wasn't a horrible mother and to give me a sincere hug of empathy.

This was all while at Winco, and my sweet 2 year old had a meltdown that was the likes of no other meltdown in history. He was bonkers! Not for a minute or two... but for like 15. I started out pushing the cart and laughing while I had to get my things. This was funny because there wasn't an option to cry, or punish him. I tried bribing, threatening, hugging, ... everything you can do while in a store.

People were coming around from corners to see if the screaming was inflicted or not. Finally I pulled over in the tissue isle... tried to think of something to do, and a sweet lady came and gave me kind words of encouragement and love. I lost it.. right there.. in the Kleenex isle. This sweet woman gave me tissue and tried to make him laugh. He spit on her, threw the reachable groceries at her, and continued to scream like he was either being kidnapped or tortured... and she never judged him. She kept calling him Sweet!!! Maybe she was crazy, but .. today has been hard. He has a new level of tantrum and I have to figure out how to get threw this.

I just thought I'd blog this and see if it made me feel a little better.

11 comments:

Vixie said...

I hope it made you feel better!! And, to know that we have been there - and will be there again. Sending hugs your way!

Kristen said...

how can that sweet little boy on your sidebar throw a tantum of such epic porportions? Awh Raina, I know about days like yours. Good thing the good days outnumber days like today. Im sure you will figure out how to deal with it, with an luck, and no doublt its a one time event. :) And bless that sweet woman..I love people like her!!

Jes said...

I can't help but cringe for you as I read it ... and the photo on top is a perfect match. Don't you wish you could throw a tantrum too? Just let it all out? These 2-year-olds have it made! (and I think they know it!) You're a fantastic mom - and did all the right things. Someday, when he's a bit older, you can tell him the story and make him make it up to you. :)Tell then, keep sharing with us mommy bloggers. We feel for ya!

Jen said...

So sorry to hear about your day, Raina. YUCK. I HATE those moments, because mostly you just get stares and you are sure they are judging you, but are probably just sympathetic. I know that I have been there and feel your pain! So glad tomorrow is Saturday. Leave the kids with Emile and go get a pedicure.

j and k said...

Oh, cute Raina! Why is it Winco always have this influence on our children? ;-) Is it perhaps the treacherously long aisles? The winding carts swerving into us? The disporportionately large amount of gold teeth? Or is it perhaps the sight of spandex on those whom it should be unlawful to wear it? Don't you worry! ALL of our kids have done it... I'm just glad someone that kind was there to help you out. See...her kids did it too. It was just years ago. You're so cute. Jen's right...catch a break on saturday!
XO

Bobbidee said...

That shouldn't have been so funny to me but it was because I have been there and it just makes me feel good to know I am not alone! Have a great weekend!

Phoebe said...

What a nice stranger! I hope that I can remember to be nice like that someday.

This is also a good reminder to never take my kids to Winco-or out in public:)

Phoebe said...

What a nice stranger! I hope that I can remember to be nice like that someday.

This is also a good reminder to never take my kids to Winco-or out in public:)

Liz Lambson said...

Raina, thanks for the comment! I just found your blog today through Bonita's, and wow--such beautiful photos of you and your family. Amazing. What a sad tantrum story . . . I have so much to look forward to. :)

Dana said...

First let me say how sorry I am that Simon had such a bad fit of rage come over him. Second just know that you get an award for not killing him right there and then. There are stories of parents who loose it as well and start beating thier kids right there on the spot because they are on the brink of a break down as well. Kudos to you!!! This is why God gives us cute kids so we remember not to beat them up.
Why don't we live close? We could watch each other kids and go to the store in peace!!

bontovi said...

Aww... I agree.. she's an angel. Cheer up my friend, it happens to all mommies. (Except when it happened to me, a crazy lady came up to my kid and told him to be quiet... I pulled a Samoan on her by the sausage aile .... "Lady, step away from my child or one of us is flying out of the store!"-- She was nice after that.) Anyway, happy thoughts your way!