Monday, May 05, 2008

The needy

What would you do for 35 cents?

I'm not sure I would do anything. Today as I was at Safeway, and a grimey, un-showered, overweight man rode his electric cart up to the express lane in front of me. He gave the cashier 3 receipts for bottles. I was trying not to pay attention, but overheard the cashier say, "here is your 35 cents, sir".

I thought to myself, 35 Cents? 35 Cents!!!

I was shocked and left feeling slightly embarrassed at all the little extras I had in my hands at that moment. After the embarrassment, my heart started to swell with compassion that he would have worked to save so little. I am overwhelmed with a new desire to not judge those who are needy and to work a little harder to be more generous with my abundance.

What would you do for 35 cents?

3 comments:

j and k said...

You have a pretty sweet heart, Raina! You do good everywhere and you just did some good by bringing this to attention! It makes you stop and think!

Kristen said...

Its interesting how seeing someone with so little can change your perspective in an instant. (by "your" I mean people in general:)I always feel a heart pain when I see people like that, I am sure there is more I could do to help, but sometimes you just dont know what to do. And with 35 cents, I guess I could by a gumball out of the machine :(

Jen said...

I have felt that pang lately as well. I have so much, yet am constantly in WANT of something new. It has been bugging me lately, so your post really hits home. Great thoughts.